Success has different meanings to everyone. Yet, many people use the same general words to describe it.
It is important that we take the time to ponder our own personal definition of success…to be able to imagine what it looks like and feels like.
Envisioning the end is enough to put the means in motion.
The benefits of being able to imagine the ‘look and feel’ of success are numerous. But, mainly:
- You will know exactly what you are working to achieve.
- You will be able to determine how to achieve success.
- You will know when you are experiencing success.
Here is an activity that will help you imagine your personal success: “A Day in the Life of Successful You”
- Set aside 20-25 minutes in a quiet place where you can be alone.
- Off the cuff, start describing a typical day in your successful life.
- You wake up and what do you see? What do you do? Who do you interact with?
- Take time to describe how you feel.
- Take a mental note of the aspects which are important to you.
- For example: nature? family? money? health? laughter? stability?
- Summarize the look and feel of living during this day of success.
Many people that I have taken through this activity have recognized that their prior definition of success was too vague and not tangible. Some have mentioned that they were chasing the wrong definition of success (i.e. money instead of daily happiness).
Complete this activity many times to feel more confident in your personal definition of success. And remember, that all achievements begin as thoughts.
A person can grow only as much as his horizon allows.
Download the FREE guide: “4 Areas of Focus to Enhance Your Nutrition Career” and get the Professional Insights newsletter.
About the Author: Devon L. Golem, PhD, RD
Dr. Golem is the founder and CEO of the Institute of Continuing Education for Nutrition Professionals. She earned a PhD in Nutritional Sciences at Rutgers University and has worked as a registered dietitian in a variety of settings. Connect with her on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.