The protective health benefits of turmeric are numerous. Get it in your mouth today. Here is a recipe for a sure-fire way to get turmeric in your diet every morning.
Hot Turmeric Toddy (sans whiskey)
- ½ tsp turmeric, ground (from the spice aisle in the grocery store)
- 1 Tbsp agave (you can substitute honey, maple, or other sweetener)
- 8-12 fl. oz. of boiling water
- Black pepper (One twist of the pepper grinder is enough)
In a mug, add the turmeric, agave, and black pepper. Boil water and add it to the mug. Stir and enjoy.
Heat-treated turmeric is the most studied, so this is the reason I add hot water. However, there are studies revealing beneficial effects from turmeric powder that has not been heated as well as fresh turmeric.
Black pepper contains a polyphenol called piperine. Piperine prevents the metabolic breakdown of curcumin and other polyphenols in turmeric in the body. So, adding black pepper to the mix increases the amount of turmeric components in the blood (1).
© 2016 NOVEDGO
- Percival SS, Vanden Heuvel JP, Nieves CJ, Montero C, Migliaccio AJ, and Meadors J. (2012). Bioavailability of herbs and spices in humans as determined by ex vivo inflammatory suppression and DNA strand breaks. J Am Col Nutr. 31(4): 288-294.